Two truths and a lie is a simple and fun icebreaker game that can be used in a variety of training workshops, meetings, and activities. It is suited for groups of 12-15 people but can be applied to larger groups by forming smaller groups. It usually only needs about 15 minutes to complete the activity.
How To Play Two Truths And A Lie
It is really simple to use this icebreaker. To begin, one person has to say three statements about themselves (two that are true and one that is a lie).
The remainder of the group then has to guess what statements were true and what were the lies!!
Strategies That You Can Use When Playing This Game
The most important aspect of two truths and a lie as a game is that it is fun.
And, the real value that can be achieved comes from people having fun and interacting with each other.
Most people pick rather obvious statements and make the lie credible by keeping it boring or indeed credible. And, as a result, the lie is harder to detect (and that is what makes it fun to play!!).
“Hi I am John I can speak a second language, I am a trained pianist, and I am a vegetarian.”
“Hello, my name is Lisa and you mightn’t know that I am afraid of clowns, I am also afraid of tadpoles and poor me as I am also allergic to dust.”
“Hey Everyone, I’m Bill. I can whistle, I can’t ride a bike and I hate Mexican food.”
When trying to work out the lies of other players, you should watch out for their body language and the tone of their voice. Some people instinctually will look away from you when they are delivering a lie (no matter how innocent it may be!!!).
80 Sample Truths And Lies!!!
We’ve put together a selection of very credible truths/lies for those of you that are looking for a little inspiration!!
- I can speak a second language.
- I am a trained pianist.
- I am a vegetarian.
- I am afraid of clowns.
- I am afraid of tadpoles.
- I am allergic to dust.
- I am allergic to nuts.
- I am allergic to seafood.
- I am color blind.
- I am left-handed.
- I am not religious.
- I am related to a famous musician.
- I am scared of public speaking.
- I am the youngest in my family.
- I believe in ghosts.
- I believe in God.
- I brush only once a day.
- I can curl my tongue.
- I can do a handstand.
- I can eat five hamburgers in one go!
- I can hold my breath underwater.
- I can juggle five tennis balls.
- I can name all the members of the band Queen.
- I can play guitar.
- I can play the drums.
- I can whistle.
- I can’t ride a bike.
- I can’t swim
- I can’t eat dairy products.
- I can’t eat gluten.
- I can’t eat spicy food.
- I can’t tie my own shoelaces.
- I cut my brother’s hair once.
- I don’t own a mobile phone.
- I don’t have Amazon Prime.
- I don’t know how to play chess.
- I don’t want to get married ever.
- I drink 2 cups of coffee every morning.
- I dropped out of college.
- I get all my pets from an animal rescue shelter.
- I go to the gym twice a week.
- I go to yoga class every week.
- I grew up on a farm.
- I had my appendix removed.
- I had my tonsils removed.
- I hate Mexican food.
- I have 5 piercings.
- I have a fear of heights.
- I have a fear of tight spaces.
- I have a tattoo.
- I have a website.
- I have bad nightmares.
- I have been bungy-jumping.
- I have been on the TV.
- I have been stung by a bee.
- I have never been a bridesmaid.
- I have never broken a bone.
- I have never had surgery.
- I have to take a bubble bath every night.
- I have traveled to another country.
- I have two brothers.
- I know how to knit.
- I know how to shoot a gun.
- I like to sleep on my back.
- I love camping.
- I love chocolate.
- I love horror movies.
- I love solving jigsaws.
- I never drink Coke.
- I once got stuck in an elevator for 2 hours.
- I own my own house.
- I took a selfie with Madonna.
- I was born in America.
- I wrote a book.
- I’ve never watched a Harry Potter film.
- I’m a twin.
- I’m a vegan.
- I’m adopted,
- I’m allergic to cats.
- I’ve never had McDonald’s food.